Benifits of registered users compare to un-registered

By doing registration with us. you can take benifits from all of services.

Member Login

Remember me | forgot password?

Company Login

Remember me | forgot password?
Ancient Kameiros

The area of Kameiros lies on the northwest coast of the island near the foreland of Agios Minas (ancient Mylantio) on the foots of hill Akramitis. During the prohistoric period, locals were worshiping the Mylantioys Gods.(Gods that teach humas the milling and kneading). Myceanean graveyards have been excavated in Kalavarda west of Kameiros. Findings of the geometric Period (8th century) declare the existence of a temple dedicated to Athina. The earthquake in 226 B.C destroyed the classic town and probably the temple of Athina Kameiriada.The hellenistic town was built according to the Ippodamus system into 3 different levels. On the top of the hill they built Acropolis and the temple of Athina. In the middle level the setllement was built and at the bottom the hellenistic temple, a doriean fountain, the market and the sorrounding wall of the shrines.The area was adorned a vast amount of staues, oblations and shafts. The earthquake of 142 B.C destroyed the city for the second time.

Acropolis was excavated for the first time from Bilioti and Salzman in 1852-1864. In 1928 during th Italian ocupation the Italian archaeologic Academy started a systematic research in the area with simultaneous erections that maintained till the end of the second world war.

The archaeologic area of Kameiros includes the settlement that is modulated into 3 levels. The are includes the following findings:


Acropolis with the temple of Athina Kameirada. The temple has a doriean style. It replaced a previous temple that was built during classical age 226 B.C

A rectangular construction with plaster. Earthen tubes and two stone covers in the bottom that were used to distribute water to the settlement. It had a capacity of 600 cubage meters of water and it was sufficient for 300-400 families.It is aged from 6th-5th century B.C.. During the hellenistic period it was replaced from a stoa.

Hellenistic Stoa

It was constituted from 2 forms of doriean shafts and shops or habitats for the prayers on the back side. On the front side the shafts brought an epistyle with metops ,triglyphs and cornice (3rd-2nd century B.C.) Under the floor is saved the water distribution system with fountains and underground reservoirs.


Four side shrine built in hellenistic period can be found on the front of the stoa.On the northeast side of the third tump along the fortified walls have been placed inescribed shrines divided into two levels, dedicated to various gods. In the first level is saved a big inecribed shrine dedicated to Helius(Sun).

A sdmicircular exedra in front of the shrines ring brought an oblation. A ladder between the market and the shrines leads to the center of the settlement.

Hellenestic Temple

On the thrid lowest levee of the archaeological area there is a temple with two shafts , portal , alcove and opisthdrome. In the alcove the basis of a Statue is saved. On the back of the basis there is a hole that was dug to put and protect the treasure of the sanctuary.The temple was dedicated to Pythio Apollon.

Ionian temple

Ioanian temple encompassed with plaster was used for the housing of an oblation .


The front side is constituted of doriean limestone semi-pillar encompassed wtih plaster that was underlaying an entablature.


A square with four sides was opened in front of the Fountain for the concentration of the citizens during the religious ceremonies. The square had three levels on the south and east side. The south and the north side was closed with walls and doors were opened for the transition of the prayers.Semi pillars were decorationg the north wall and on the southeast corner there is an oblation construction with four sides.On the west side there were erected inscribed pedestals of statues and oblations.The most important among them is the epigraph with the words "Θεος Πασι" which means God everywhere. On the rear side of the entrance there are two semi finished inscribed oblations, one of them has probably the representation of a Bull.


Settlement of Roman and hellenistic period built according to the Ippodamus system. It sustains to the middle tump of the hill. Main characteristic of the houses is the interior courtyard with one side usually taller from the other three. Mosaic floors and ftontages with epistyle and written decoration encompassed with plaster were decorating the houses. There are remains of public baths with rooms for cold and hot spa. There were also underground constructions for the heating of the area

Map of
Map data ©2009 Europa Technologies - Terms of Use
11 12
13 14
Add an improved description: