Benifits of registered users compare to un-registered

By doing registration with us. you can take benifits from all of services.

Member Login

Remember me | forgot password?

Company Login

Remember me | forgot password?
Acropolis of Lindos

According to the myth the praise of Athina Lindia is prohellenic. The few mycenean and prohistoric findings in the nearby area do not confirm this myth. The history of the sanctuary starts in the geometric period (9th century B.C). The arhaic period the oppressor of Lindos Kleovoulos will renew the worship and will build a temple on the place where the older one was positioned.The archaic temple had exactly the same design as the new one Doriean with four pillars. The access top the sanctuary was done with a temporary ladder. After 342 B.C when the temple was destroyed due to a fire a new temple was built that is saved till nowadays. The hellenistic stoa was built at later times. The 3rd century B.C. was imported the worship of Zeus Polieos even if Athina remained the main Goddess of the temple. During the roman period the flamen Aglohartos planted olive trees and near the temple of Athina Lindia the sanctuary of Psithiros was built.(end of 2nd century A.C)

The Acropolis of Lindos contains the following monuments:

Doriean temple of Athina Lindia. Built at the end of 4th century B.C.

Hellenistic stoa with sided extended wings with four pillar frontages. (3rd century B.C.) The stoa has 87 meters length and is constituted from 42 pillars. The wall of the stooa is divided in the middle so the ladder of the propylaea could be visible. The square was made in 1st century B.C. and was based on vaullted constructions.

Anaglyph triimiolia(Rhodian Ship) sculptured on the rock on the base of the ladder that leas to the archaeological site of Acropolis. On the bow was planted a statue of General Agisanderos Mikkiono. The staure was made from Pythokritos creator of the famous statue od Niki tis Samothrakis. The ship brings footprints of colour. Grating was isolating the statue.

Hellenistic Ladder that leads to the main archaeological site of Acropolis. Relics of it can be found next to the medieval ladder of the residency.

Propylaea of sanctuary. A monumuntal ladder which leads to a stoa with a shape of Π and 5 entrances. The side wings of the stoa had a frontage with six pillars with gable capping.The propylaea were made from limestone and they are aged since the 4th century B.C.

Relics of roman temple

There is a roman temple saved in front of the vaulted constructions. The temple was facing Acropolis and was probably intented for worshiping the Emperor(300 A.C.)

Semi circular inescribed exedra from lartio Stone where a bronze statue of Pamflida priest of the Goddess, was errected(end of 3rd century B.C.)

In the sanctuary near the ladder that leads to Acropolis and other points there were erected Statues and oblations such as the brothers Arhokrati, Lysistratos, Pythagoras and priest of the Goddess (168-156 B.C.). There were also statues fro of the Roman Imperial family: Tiberios, Drousos the younger, Augoustos and Germanikos(14-19th century B.C)

Acropolis was surrounding the walls, hellenistic period, built the same age as the prolylaea and the ladder that leads to the entrance of the area. Fortified walls were protecting the Acropolis since the persian wars. Roman epigraph mentions the errection of the walls and the square towers with money from the priest of Ailiou Agitoros(2nd century A.C).

The byzantine castle was fixed before 1317 from the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalym. Except the few parts of the byzantine fortification there are not other elemnts before the Period the knights were on the Island.The towers are few and follow the natural design of the rocks.On the south foothill the tower with 5 sides was facintg the Port, the settlement and the street whcih was leading from and to South Rhodes.

A huge cylindric tower existed on the east side facing the sea.Two more towers e cylindric and an angular wre on the northeast side of the fortification.Today there are saved one on the northwest side and one on the west side of the residency. On the 30th of december 1522 the Lindians surrender to the Turks. Around 16th to 17th century the use of Canons made it neccessary for the construction of parapets. A small amoung of Turkish guards remained there till 1844.

Big Medieval ladder which leads to the west residency. Today is comprised of two buildings but when was build was comprised of 3 buildings. It was errected from the danish archaeological mission in order to be used as a mmuseum. It was also errected from the Italians.

The temple of Saint John. The architectural type of the temple is cruciform enrolled. The temple was built in 11th-12th or 14th century A.C. on an older temple built in 6th century B.C.

The excavations were done from the danish institution Calberg between 1900-1914 and 1952 from Kinch, Blinkenberg and E.Dyggve.

During the Italian occupation 1912-145 important errections were done from the Italians all around the island and Lindos as well. The NorthEast side of the temple was errected and 3-4 Pillars. The ladder that leads to propylaea and an important number of the pillars of the hellenistic stoa. The last few years a big effort is taking place in order to errect the Acropolis and make it the way is hould be done.


Map of
Map data ©2009 Europa Technologies - Terms of Use
11 12
13 14
Add an improved description: